Saturday, June 27, 2009

2006 Martinelli Pinot Noir, Bondi Home Ranch, "Water Trough Vineyard"

I have to admit up front that Martinelli Pinot Noirs from the Russian River Valley and the "true" Sonoma Coast just plain knock my hat in the creek. I love the seamless, dense fruit aromas and flavors that are found in all their separate vineyard bottlings. But I would ask those who favor more delicate, polished Pinots to give this one a try. Now, there is nothing wimpy about this wine from the Green Valley AVA (overlaps Russian River Valley AVA). This cool site gives this wine a lighter color and a delicacy and finesse that is very charming. It says Helen Turley (the consulting winemaker) sotto voce.

The cost was $60 and I have no problems with that price, given the quality of the wine. Parker gave it a 91 and Tanzer scored it 92+. Martinelli's top wines are available only by allocation, but I don't think you would ever regret being on their list.

No comments: