Tuesday, July 14, 2009

2005 Hopler Austrian Pinot Blanc

Sometimes finding a nice wine is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I bumped into a wine distributor friend at the Lukas wine store in Kansas City (Overland Park) and I was invited to sit in on a presentation by Mr. Hopler's son. His PowerPoint show was so interesting I purchased a bottle of this wine as I was leaving. I am glad I did. This is a delicious, dry and refreshing wine that possesses plenty of structure and flavor to stand up to rich and spicy dishes. The winery is located in Austria's eastern Burgenland viticulture area. Although I was suspicious that the wine, now almost four years old, may be fading fast,such was not the case. The cost was a very reasonable $15. The Lukas store on the other side of the state line has the 2007 vintage, which I have not tried.

No comments: