Wednesday, June 17, 2009

2005 Vincent Girardin Chassagne-Montrachet, "La Romanee"

Buying white Burgundy can be, like buying red Burgundy, an exercise that often ends is disappointment, and an expensive one at that. My wife Annie bought this wine for me last Christmas and I think I should let her do more of my wine purchases. The aromas that leap from this glass are amazingly intense. To be sure, there is French oak in the foreground, but the pear and apricot notes are fresh and focused. The full, silky flavors and overall balance complete the picture. This was the most satisfying white Burgundy I have had in many years.

Annie bought the wine at the Kansas City Lukas store at 135th and State Line. She paid $63 and, given the quality received, you can't argue with that price. You can pay that price for a California Chardonnay with no guarantee that it will be as satisfying.

No comments: