Wednesday, March 25, 2009

2007 Breggo Pinot Gris, Wiley Vineyard

This wine is not available in the Kansas City area, so I purchased it directly from the winery in December of 2008. The cost was $27. Now, I must admit that California (and Italian) Pinot Gris, particularly at this price, generally leave me much less than enthusiastic and I bought this wine based on Parker's 93 score. Well, he was right on the mark with that number. The color is a bright yellow. Intense aromas jump from the glass - lots of ripe melon, peach and ginger notes. This is a flavorful, mouth-filling wine, but the overall balance allows it to bear its weight gracefully.

Breggo is a relatively new winery located in the northern California's cool-climate Anderson Valley. These folks have hit the ground running and I am looking forward to trying their Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc and Gewurztraminer offerings. Has anyone tried these varietals? They have a nice website.

No comments: