Wednesday, March 11, 2009

2004 Clos de la Coulee de Serrant Savennieres

A couple of cases showed up in the Kansas City market and I just had to try a bottle. The cost was $40, which I recognized was a good buy. Now, I am a long-standing fan of Loire Valley Chenin Blanc, both the dry and the sweet versions. Domaine Baumard is my favorite Savennieres producer, but I simply do not understand this wine from Nicolas Joly. For me, weird is the only way I can describe this wine - from color, aroma and flavor to the finish. Does anyone have a different read on this wine (or agree)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A possible reason could be that wines from these great vineyards are best known for their ability to age for a long time and they are descibed as "dumb" while in their youth.

Lonnie Williams said...

I am convinced this wine's appearance and taste is not the result of a lack of bottle age. Everything was out of whack - I don't think more bottle age is going to transform this wine into what you would expect from a mature Loire Valley Chenin Blanc.