Friday, February 3, 2012

2008 Beringer "Alluvium Blanc", Knights Valley

I have been a fan of this white wine for a number of years and I have become used to paying well over $10 a bottle. I did a real double-take when I saw this wine selling for under $6 at the World Market in Tucson. When I noted the vintage was 2008, I then suspected this was a market "dump" of an over-the-hill white wine. I bought one bottle to test my theory...the next day I rushed back to the store to buy two cases!
This wine is a blend of sauvignon blanc, semillon, chardonnay and viognier. Usually this sort of blend has a short life span, but Beringer can be relied on to craft a wine that does not fall apart a year or two from the vintage date. This is a substantial wine, full of rich flavors and complex aromas. This wine goes amazingly well with Asian dishes. I note on my World Market receipt that I received an additional case discount, bringing the bottle price down to $5.29!

No comments: