Sunday, July 17, 2011

1997 Domaine des Baumard Savennieres "Clos du Papillon"

Although the wine probably does not belong in "New Tastes" since I bought it 11 years ago, I wanted to highlight this dry Loire Valley chenin blanc, not only for its modest price but also for its incredible ability to gracefully age. This wine cost me $18 a bottle and later vintages now on the market are perhaps double that (but still a bargain). Domaine des Baumard is a top producer, not only of Savennieres, but also several sweet Coteaux du Layon examples, culminating with the luscious Quarts de Chaume.

This wine was 14 years old when I pulled the cork. The color and fresh aroma said "new wine" and I had to look at the label a second time just to make sure I had not opened a recent vintage by mistake. This amazing longevity is mostly attributed to the bracing acidity this varietal exhibits when grown in its place of origin. I have one bottle left and I am not in any hurry to open it. If you are looking for a wine that speaks of "somewhereness" chenin blanc from the Loire Valley will give you exactly that. Baumard's wine has good national distribution so you should not have any problem finding both the dry and the sweet versions.

No comments: